Wednesday, October 7, 2009

HIVpositive friend...




For this weeks blog, I thought it would be a good idea for me to blog about my HIV positive friend. I first spoke with my friend and ask her if it would be ok if I shared her personal story and she did agree.




About two months ago, my friend of many years found out that she was HIV positive. Much to my suprise, I was the first individual she shared the news with. We sat down the other night to discuss her personal situation, I wanted to hear her story. From the first time she told me that she was HIV positive we've never really sat down to discuss how and when she contracted the disease.




So I asked her, how long have you known you were HIV positive and she said for about 7months. She stated she did not know how to tell anyone, but she wanted to tell someone she felt would not badger her, so she told me. I was so thrilled that she felt was a good enough friend that she could tell me something of this extent.




She stated she contracted a disease from a guy she was dating for a few months. She'd decided to go and get tested just as a precaution and much to her suprise she was diagnosed as HIV positive. She was devastated. She thought it was the end of the world. She told the guy she tested positive and he too went to get tested and was positive as well. She knew she got the virus from him due to her never being with anyone else.




As she told me her story, I sat quietly and listened to every detail, because this virus was NOW real to me. I'd heard of many HIV stories before but now this virus seemed so much more personal knowing someone I've grown to love as a sister is now positive.




From this class I learned so much. It has taught me to be even more supportive for my friend. I told her that I would help her fight this virus, and win. I just wanted to share this with my fellow readers , because it is not that I have really gained a desire to learn more about the disease that way I can help my friend through this situation as well. I've grown so much personally from this class, and this has become of my most favorite classes.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Allison,
    I am sorry to hear about your friend. It's always different to just hear about it and actually be close to someone who has it. It's good that she got tested for it, because so many people don't know they have the disease...
    So, did she discuss with you how she's going to deal with the new situation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That just shows that people who still think that HIV is only a "gay man's virus" are wrong. It's affecting everyone and as a nation people need to become more knowledgeable about how to prevent it or live a healthy life with it if they have HIV

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was very brave of her to tell you her story. I couldn't imagine how I would feel if I found out I had HIV; it does show that people all over the world are susceptible to the virus, and should take any action to help prevent it. Thanks to the continuous fight for a cure, and medications to help live your life, it is no longer a death sentence. I hope everything turns out for the best for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please thank your friend for sharing her story with us. Perhaps when she is confident enough in herself, she will share her story with others. I don't have anyone close to your ages on the women's panel, so in the future if she is willing it might be a great opportunity for her. She is welcome to come to the women's panel some semester to see what they talk about. Glad you will be there to help her through this.

    ReplyDelete