Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Course Growth...


This course has really helped me to increase my knowledge about the HIV virus. Not only has this course taught me alot about the virus, it has also taught me alot about life as well. This course has taught me not to be judgemental. Before taking this class, I too was ignorant to many of the facts about HIV. I knew that anyone could contract HIV in certain circumstances, but I'd still kept my own personal stigma on the virus as well. As bad as it may sound, I always felt that most of the individuals who contracted HIV were either homosexual or individuals involved in risky activities: unprotected sex, drug users, needle sharers, etc. I did not realize that the there is a large percentage of individuals who contract the disease from blood transfusions or even at birth.


Each week I enjoy reading the blogs of my fellow classmates. I have learned many interesting facts and statistics that I was not aware of . Each week I look to forward to reading the blogs to learn as much as I can about the virus.


Education is the key. The more we know about the virus, the better off we will be.



Did you know...



In 2008, 74% of all HIV cases where males. Of those 74%, 27% were heterosexual. In 2007 33.2 million people were estimated to be living with HIV, 2.5 million people became newly infected and 2.1 million people died of AIDS (CDC, 2008). The virus is growing and spreading more each year. It is important that we take a stand and speak out.






3 comments:

  1. I am guilty of thinking the worst about HIV. I used to think that by touching me or using the bathroom I could get HIV. After my brother was diagnosed, I started to become obsessed with HIV. I even started to think I had HIV. I have never done drugs or be involved in risky sexual behavior, but having a family member have it, it makes it real. HIV to me is possible in anyone. Great Stats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I was also ignorant to all the facts of HIV/AIDS. I also used to think that people who carried this disease were drug users, needle shares and even whores. I never knew that something so innocent as to getting a blood transfusion could infect you. It could happen to you or even me! Since being in this class, I have also enjoyed reading other peoples point of views and see what they would do in certain situations. It gives me assurance when I read that other people would behave in the same way I do. This helps me to know that I don’t have a weird or wrong way of thinking or handling situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Education is the only key. The government isn't doing much about this problem. As far as they are concerned, it is manageable now. We have 56,000 new cases of HIV in the US yearly, so that should tell them something.

    If we are going to educate we must use reality-based education, not abstinence only education.

    Glad you are enjoying the blog. So am I.

    ReplyDelete