Friday, September 11, 2009

Did you know...


As stated in the previous blog, many topics dealing with HIV interest me. One topic that interests me the most is: HIV in African American women. I think this topic most interests me because I am an African American woman and I believe its very important to know how the virus is affecting women of color.


When researching this topic, I found that recent studies from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that out of all the women in the U.S. with HIV black women make up 67% of the total (Health Mad, 2006). If the statistics were that high back in 2003, I can only imagine what the statistics are now, with the virus spreading throughout the world the percentage of African American women with HIV or at risk for HIV must be rather high.


HIV has no respect of person. It doesn't matter what race you are, how old you are or even what gender you are. Each and everyone has the chance of being infected if we don't protect ourselves.

3 comments:

  1. Great, Allison. I look forward to learning more about HIV in Black women throughout the semester. I enjoy the pictures you post to go along with your blog. It is a nice touch.

    I imagine that the CDC has some updated figures you might want to check out for your next Did You Know column.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HIV is a scary subject, its the silent killer that can easily take down our defenses if we aren't careful. I hope that through the duration of the course I find the real reason as to why the virus seems to infect and higher percentage of women than men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments, I look forward to learning as educate you all as well.

    ReplyDelete